Are you struggling with alcohol use disorder in Jacksonville? Satyen Madkaiker, MD, at Ketamine Therapeutics, can help you. Alcohol intake may not seem like a big deal, but when it controls your life to an extent you cannot do anything without it, then it is a problem. Unfortunately, most individuals do not realize it is an issue until it is too late. The good thing is that the problem is treatable, and you can have your life back. Ketamine Therapeutics offers comprehensive diagnosis and management of alcohol use disorder to better your living. Call their office today to schedule your consultation.
What You Should Note About Alcohol Use Disorder
Alcohol use disorder is a condition where you have uncontrolled dependence on alcohol. It is a brain disease leading to the addictive use of alcohol. Drinking also causes harm and problems.
Unhealthy alcohol intake involves any alcohol drinking that endangers your health and safety, among other problems. Consuming too much alcohol within a short period also puts your health at risk.
When you have alcohol use disorder, it is hard to control your drinking. You experience withdrawal symptoms when you do not drink. Drinking affects your life and relationships, and it usually causes problems.
The disease is common, and it may occur due to hereditary traits, social, psychological, and environmental factors that may also put you at risk of having the condition.
How Do You Know You Have Alcohol Use Disorder?
According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, you may have alcohol use disorder when you experience at least two symptoms for 12 months. The symptoms include:
- Having strong alcohol cravings.
- When alcohol use affects your relationships.
- Wishing to stop drinking, but you are unable.
- Drinking more than you intended or longer than you intended.
- Spending a lot of time drinking or recovering from alcohol use.
- Using alcohol even in unsafe situations such as when driving.
- Failing on your responsibilities due to alcohol use.
- Continuing with drinking even when it is causing you to harm physically or socially.
- Having an alcohol tolerance such that you need to drink more to feel its effect.
- Giving up on your hobbies and social activities you used to love.
- Having withdrawal symptoms when you do not drink, such as shaking and sweating.
When to Seek Help
You may need to see a doctor when you feel you are drinking too much alcohol and your alcohol use is causing problems, including your relationships. You can also talk with a psychologist or get help at support groups. Listening to your friends may also help you realize your problem.
What Are the Treatments?
Ketamine Therapeutics creates customized treatment plans to address your alcohol use disorder. Depending on your severity, treatments may include psychotherapy and medications to control your withdrawals.
In cases where the treatments do not work, the team at Ketamine Therapeutics recommends ketamine infusion therapy. The therapy helps reduce your desire to drink.
If your alcohol intake puts your life at risk or is causing problems with your work, family, and friends, you may consider consulting Ketamine Therapeutics. Contact their office today or book your appointment online.